Sunday, May 16, 2010

Dreams.

Why do people dream? This is a question I have often wondered. I dream extremely ridiculous things just about every night. And I like to share the really good ones. I am one of those people who has extremely long and detailed dreams. When I have nightmares, I can usually realize I'm dreaming and I'll wake myself up. This has happened on more than one occasion. The most recent bad dreams have been about zombies/crazies (if you haven't seen the movie the Crazies, you won't understand the reference). I can certainly say that dreams are not premonitions of the future. At least mine are most definitely not. I don't see our futures having any outbreaks of zombies. I have heard a few theories of dreams. One of them being when we dream, our short term memory is being converted into long term memory. http://www.essortment.com/all/dreamspeoplewh_reyl.htm This website provides a little information on the wonderousness of dreaming. And there are many more like it. Most websites will tell you that everyone dreams. Also that dreams occur in the REM stages of sleep. REM stands for Rapid Eye Movement. I believe dreams are a way of people seeing all the crazy, subconscious thoughts they have throughout the day. It is said that if people didn't dream, they would go insane. The website I have linked in this blog talks about an experiment where people's dream cycles were messed up and they had complete changes in personality. I would go crazy if I couldn't dream too.

No comments:

Post a Comment