Sunday, May 16, 2010

Unexplained.

So, recently, I haven't been feeling so good. And this has made me wonder, what happens when our generation, or the generations after us, are born with or somehow get diseases and sicknesses that haven't been named or discovered? I know more than one person who recently have had major illnesses that can not be diagnosed. How can something no one knows anything about be treated? How much money goes to new research to find out these kinds of things? And how do the answers reach somewhat small towns like ours? I find this to be pretty troubling. One of my very best friends was diagnosed with stage four hodgkins lymphoma last year. She has been going through tremendous amounts of procedures, tests, and treatments since then. I can't even imagine the kinds of things she has gone through. In the last few weeks, she had a terrible constant headache that put her in the hospital. She then was given an MRI and a spinal tap. The poor girl. Anyway, neither of these things found answers to why she was having headaches. A neuro-doctor, I'm not sure what his title was, was called in to take a look. Even he was stumped. So what happens then? What happens when the experts don't know? Luckily, the headaches started receding on their own and she started feeling much better. I no longer have that sense of security I had as a child about doctors being able to fix whatever ails us. They know just as much as I do about the new things plaguing our nation's citizens. Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but they don't know much more than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment